Sunday 1 July 2012

Closing down Shop, Keeping the Faith, and the First Step of Many



 Greetings from Kingston!

Yes. Kingston.

People have been telling me that they cannot wait for my travel blogs for the past couple of weeks. These same people are probably wondering “I waited for freaking Kingston?”

The truth is that after closing down shop at school, setting up shop for this trip and dealing with a few other issues I simply did not have time to do a blog entry until tonight. Having missed last weekend I wanted to make sure I wrote something this weekend.

Eric and I left this Canada Day evening so that it would not be a mad dash to the airport tomorrow. So here we are at the Comfort Inn in Kingston with our lovely view of Pizza Hut, the Dairy Queen and Swiss Chalet. We would be able to see more Canada Day fireworks right now but the gigantic inflatable frosty on the roof of the Wendy’s is blocking our view. They sound nice a patriotic, though.

We had our commencement ceremonies at Glebe on Friday. It was a fun as it gets when you have seveny-five thousand people flashing cameras at the forty-five hundred grads walking across the floor during a heat wave. To be honest, though, I actually do manage to enjoy it. I have the honour of calling out some of the names so I sit in the front next to the gigantic fan that is used to test aerodynamic capabilities of jets when not blowing the caps off of grads in our auditorium. So I am not so hot as I am disheveled with my tie over my shoulder. But even better, when I am not greeting them on stage during their big moment I am sitting as they walk by me.

I am not going to deny that there are a few kids I am happy to see the end of. Some where you wish them all the best...elsewhere. But there are also many others that you have watched grow into fine young men and women and are honoured to be a part of their narrative. So many future leaders, and caretakers, and instruments of change. And even the ones that drove you crazy, the ones you visualised stapling their lips to their desks just for a moment of silence, even they have, for the most part, become these amazing young adults with great potential.

There was one family of three sibling that all graduated together. The two boys rarely smiled, the girl had had a difficult couple of years, and the path towards this day for all three was very winding and complicated. Yet here they all were. Smiling. Laughing. Celebrating their achievements together.

Teaching, for me, is more often than not an act of faith. On the day of commencement that faith comes to the forefront for me as I silently watch these young people walk by me and out of my life. For the most part I will be forgotten by them, to be brought up perhaps when they remember an idiosyncrasy I have or something I have said. And that’s the way it should be really. And while I probably won’t remember their names I will recall their energy for it has fed me this year in preparation for next fall.

Tomorrow I head to the airport in Toronto and I leave for London. I have not been there for many years. Not since my university days. I have been told that the city is already heaving under the build up for the Olympics. We will be finishing up our course in Rome when it begins, but we will nevertheless feel the fever pitch of this great event.

I already miss my house, my porch and my beautiful little village with all the people I love in it. I am trying to ignore the fact that this is my last night with Eric for awhile. After I finish this post we plan to look through our information for our upcoming road trip and start making decisions.

Summer has indeed arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment