Wednesday 25 July 2012

Monumental Thoughts, Photo Shoots, and The Rape of Persephone.



Every time I arrive in Rome I am struck by how the cityscape is punctuated by the ruins of the days of the Republic and Empire. The Colosseum, Palantine  and Forum are obvious landmarks, to be sure, and the centrepiece of this vibrant city. But it is the drive-by viewing of the Baths of Caracella, the sudden appearance of the Pantheon as you turn a corner, or the stumbling upon of ancient tenements as you pass by the Capitaline Museums that strike me. In this city, the past is almost bubbling up from the cobblestones of old streets; always in wait to be discovered.

One of my students asked “Why don’t we have something like this in Canada?” A naive question, obviously, but we went into a discussion about how young Canada is. Then the next logical question is “Why would people come to Canada if we don’t offer monuments to look at?”

But we do. They are just not three thousand years old and made of stone. Sure, we have the man-made testaments of our ingenuity, circumstances and adaptability. The wall of Quebec City, the Canals in Ontario, and the railroad come to mind. And we have the statue of Terry Fox near Thunder Bay and the memorial to the Famous Five on Parliament Hill. And don’t forget the museums that are spread across this land.

But I really think what attracts most tourists to our country, as a generalisation, is the land. The very geography that defines us as a people is, I believe, the great monument we offer the world. One of my students is from Cold Lake, Alberta. I think she is very much aware that she lives in a beautiful place. But I am not convinced that she understands that she lives in a very valuable place. There are no hinterlands left in Europe. Humanity has encroached throughout the spaces between urban centres. To drive for hours and see only nature is unheard of here.

When I tried to explain that to some of them they listened politely, but I am not sure they were convinced. I hope so, though, for it is their generation who will need to work hard to not only maintain our greatest offerings to the world, but to recover it as well.

We toured the Colosseum, the Forum, the Palatine and then visited the Pantheon. It was a hot, challenging morning but it was worth it. I love the fact that there are fountains everywhere for us to refill our water bottles and that the water is pretty much the same stuff they package up and sell to us in North America. The Colosseum was a resounding success. The Palatine was “interesting” and the Forum, while really cool, was very hot. We had some gelato and found our way to the Pantheon.

My partner and I on this trip have managed to organically create this system wherein sometimes she leads and sometimes I do. She is the map master and is constantly trying to make sure we are going the right way. I am a “feeler”. I know the general direction I need to go and I go that way. At first it was a challenge for us to blend our methods, but now we have it down to a science.

After feeling our way through the streets of Rome I stopped and let the kids pass me by so that they can watch the Pantheon appear from behind a corner. It is an imposing figure within the square and I felt satisfied when they all reacted with surprised excitement. Inside we walked about and gazed upon the tomb of Boticelli. Above us the opula, a circular hole in the roof, allowed the bright sun to pierce the dimness of the sanctuary (for it is a Christian church today) and shine upon the marble floor. Around us are the spaces where once stood the whole Pantheon of Olympic gods. Today, they are replaced with the Virgin Mary, Joseph and the Disciples.

Our group is a nice group, but they are very much a crowd of posers. Except for a few exceptions, every little thing is a reason to get dressed up and get our photos taken.  We are going to the Trevi Fountain! Get some photos taken! We are going to see the Forum! Get some photos taken! We are walking by a public washroom! Get our photos taken! It seems that between the bathroom breaks, the water breaks, the cash machine breaks, the other bathroom breaks, the choosing of the wardrobe, and the photo shoots it is a bloody miracle we managed to leave London!

Oh well. At least they take good photos.

I should point out that I have had the following flavours of gelato thus far: straweberry, chocolate, hazelnut, coconut, vanilla, bacio, orange (Sweet Jesus! This was awesome!), egg cream, straciatella, tiramisu, lemon, lime, nutella, nutella cream, and caramel. There was one in Paris called Sweet Velva. 

I think I knew what they meant but I was really too freaked out to actually try it.

I will admit to having about a half dozen canolis and about four tiramisus. I think I have accidentally signed on to the Diabetic Tour of Rome. The good news is I am almost avoiding my salt intake as per my doctor’s orders! So I should be okay.

Basically, I will die if I stay on this trip one moment longer than I have already committed to.

I took the kids to see the Borghese museum. After the National Gallery and British Museum in London and the Louvre in Paris, I figure it was time to challenge the kids to see how they would do as gallery patrons attempting to ascertain and interpret a work of art. I must stay that I was pretty impressed that they were pretty impressed with all of the pretty impressive art work. After showing them the Caravaggio paintings in the gallery portion, though, I have come to the conclusion that my class is pretty much sick of my love of Caravaggio.

Hehe. Too bad for them.

In any case, they each picked a sculpture and discussed it with me. They were, as a whole, very impressed with Bernini, stating that every time a sculpture dominated a room or grabbed at them it always seemed to be a Bernini creation. Apollo and Daphne and the Rape of Persephone were the two standouts for them.

I really advocated for this gallery visit and my employers, Global Journeys, were very gracious to allow it as it significantly increased the cost of this section of the trip. It was worth it, though, to see young people embrace great art.

We are approaching the final stretch of the trip and the class instruction is pretty much over. The next few days promise to be busy ones.

I am looking forward to going home. I have had a blast but I am now anxious to return to my favourite village and see the ones I love. Soon.

Until then, the gelato...and the marking...continue.



No comments:

Post a Comment