Monday 23 July 2012

The Hussy, The Queen of Bitter, and The Parisien Fantasy.



As the sun finally began to show itself in Paris after about five or so days, I was able to finally put away the cheap umbrella I bought in London. However, I also managed to develop major blisters on the bottom of both of my feet. In fact, they were so bad that after walking to the Jardin de Luxembourg, the Champs Elysees, the Arc de Triomph, Notre Dame, the Bastille Monument, and the Louvre I was pretty much toast.

So much so that I could not climb the stairs up the Eiffel Tower. Instead I spent three hours waiting for the kids and watching the crowd pass me by during the cool evening.  What an experience. After the people selling wine, umbrellas, plastic bags to wear as coats, reproductions of the Mona Lisa, and little toys that lit up and flew into the air finally got tired of me waving them off I was pretty much invisible.

I saw one young couple make out about three feet away from me for about eight minutes. Then they ran off...presumably to their hotel, I imagine. There was also the sweet British young gay couple that argued which way was where they would find the Louvre.  They agreed which way to go and I think it was the wrong way. There was the elderly couple who groaned as they sat next to me on the bench, sat for about five minutes without saying a word, then left in silence. And let’s not forget the young couple with the screaming baby. They kept singing different songs to calm it down. When they walked on they were beginning to look really desperate.

But nothing compared to the tour group from Boise, Idaho.

A couple of the ladies met by me and waited for the rest of the group to find them. All of them eventually showed up and surrounded them...and me. I never said a word and they never acknowledged me. But I was smack dab in the middle of a group of about thirty Americans very excited about being in Paris.

“I love this town but they should do something about the sidewalks.”

“I thought more people here would wear black.”

“The Louvre was nice, but there was no real organisation to the place.”

“Did you notice that that Joyce woman keeps flirting with all the men.  Even that newlywed boy, Jake. What a hussy!”

“If Joyce goes near my Willard I swear I am going to smack that girl down!”

“Isn’t Willard, like, thirteen?”

“Fifteen. But he’s pretty mature for his age. And he’d be happy to hook up with Joyce, I can guarantee you that!”

“The sparkling lights are like Christmas, only better. Too bad they are only white. They should be mulit-coloured.”

This went on for about an hour.

Because of my feet I was forced to cancel my trip to Pere Lachaise cemetery for class to examine the iconography on some of the graves. This was a real bummer for me. The kids, however, recovered quickly and took off to go shopping. I am under the impression that they did not recognise how awesome my class would have been.

We  stayed at the Hotel Ibis Bastille Opera. Ibis is a chain and the place feels like a Comfort Inn with more pastries for breakfast. It is clean and I liked it, but I have to admit I got into a bit of a power struggle with one of the cleaning staff.

First of all, I have never met a more miserable and rude member of a hotel cleaning staff ever. 

Usually they are friendly and say hello. Sometimes I feel it is a bit too much, really. But the lady in charge of my part of the hotel is the Queen of Bitter!

It has been my experience that when you have an extended stay at a hotel, say...more than a couple of days, they will adjust to your needs. If you move a chair they will keep it there for example.  In my room I have one garbage can. It is in the bathroom. I do all of my marking at the desk next to my bed so I move the garbage can there.

Every time the room is cleaned the basket is moved back into the bathroom. This is fine. It does not bother me in the least. I just move the basket back to where I want it because the alternative would be to mark in the bathroom and I cannot do that because the bathroom is too small for me to do anything in there.

So, I am stuck in my hotel room keeping off my blistered and abused feet and dealing with student work. Ignoring the do not disturb sign, Chuckles the Cleaning Staff From Hell barges in. I say it is okay to skip my room today and she insists. I insist it is okay to move on and she ignores me. I then go back to work and ignore her.

She take the garbage can and empties it and puts it back into the bathroom. I barely notice this until I need to throw something out from my mess of papers. No...recycling is not really present in Paris. I get up, get the garbage can and return it to the space I use it next to my desk.
With a great exclamation of disgust she strides over to me and makes a great display of grabbing my garbage  and slamming it back into the bathroom. “For bathroom!” She hisses at me.

Now...if you know me at all, you know that I always present myself in the most calm, easygoing, mature, de-escalating way possible.

I get up and grab the garbage can and slammed it back onto the space next to the desk. “For me!” I declare.

She goes three shades of purple and starts a big intake of breath but I cut her off “Va!” I said as firmly and as informally as I could, pointing to the door. She said something in French as she left but I chose to let her have the last word.

I did not get nougat on my pillow anymore after that experience.

Paris, like Montreal, is a city that seems to run more organically than most other major metropolitan areas. I do not recall seeing very many iphones and blackberries on the streets as people slowly walked along the Seine.  There is something very special about a place where nobody seems to be rushing to work and everyone seems to be sitting at a cafe in the middle of the day.

This is fantasy, of course, but it is still very Parisien.

No comments:

Post a Comment