Sunday 17 June 2012

A Quiet End


And so ends another Piggyback Fringe Festival in Wakefield.

After a brunch with our goddaughters and their parents (our girls gave us Father’s Day presents!),  Eric took them to see the stilt walkers while I marked at home. Afterwards we met up at the church to see One Flew Over the Cubicle and Baskets.

Both of these plays had their strong points and the audience was small so it was a very intimate affair. A quiet way to end the weekend to be sure.

After some lunch at Le Hibou we made our way to the rooting tent headquarters and watched the videos that were made throughout the weekend in our video booth. From the quiet dignity of Norma Geggie to the silly dances of charming little children who found some balloon gloves it was a great way to laugh at ourselves and our time together.

As I predicted, The Sparrow and the Mouse won Best of Fest while the slam poet who performed on opening night won Best Spirit. I am embarrassed to say that I have forgotten his name. I am writing this after yet another marathon marking spree. Sorry!

I should be going to bed now...and will shortly. I have been burning the candle at both ends lately. But I could not finish up this day without a fond farewell to one of my favourite times of year in this village.

Thank you to the organisors and volunteers. Once again it was a fabulous event. I believe we are in the thrusts of change with this project as Theatre Wakefield grows into its tenth anniversary. I was a part of a few discussions about what needs to be changed, adapted, evolved and what the next steps should be.

One thing that will remain the same, however, is the incredible sense of community this festival evokes. Only in Wakefield can you see drummers gathered near youth preparing for improv while a tall woman in a pig headdress and pink cape walks by. We are a unique bunch nestled here in the Gatineau hills.

And we all belong.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment