Thursday 26 July 2012

The Ghost Town, the Labours, and the three day old canola

I love bringing people to Ostia Antica.

This ancient Roman port city is not only Italy’s best kept secret, it is a real opportunity to connect with archaeology, history, and the idea that despite the many years separating us, we are essentially the same human beings we were two thousand years ago.

Because of a receding coastline and a dramatic change of course for a river the old city was eventually abandoned and left to decay on its own.

 Like Pompeii it is a sprawling site with plenty of places to poke around. Unlike Pompeii it is not as well preserved and there is some restoration work that is quite...energetic. Also unlike Pompeii, though, it is a site where you are pretty much left to your own devices. One minute you are looking down from a railing at a sectioned off part of the public baths to enjoy a beautiful and complex mosaic, the next you are wondering through ancient streets and the houses that once stood complete. Stairs, windows, doorways and arches beckon you down other streets and around corners as you explore the old town. It is an ancient Roman ghost town beckoning you to explore it, to feel it out, to walk next to the shades of those who once lived there.

After four weeks of showing them art, archaeology, and literature, I have reserved this place as the spot in which I end our formal classes. Their assignment is to simply explore. I want them to walk through the ancient forum and theatre district and determine on their own what once thrived in the house and along the cobblestones. Take pictures of what appeals to you. Record what has grabbed your attention and imagination.

They come back two hours later with tales of underground passageways and fields and walls. They excitedly recall geckos and strange flowers and bugs. They show me photos of statues, a theatre, writing in stone. They are excited and declare that this was one of the best places we visited this month. I ask them why and they really cannot tell me an answer.

But I know why.

Because there are no guards to shush you, no guides to present to you, and no specific plan of action to organise you, you are left alone within the city. It is up to you to determine what you see, what you find, what you examine. As a result, you create your own connection to Ostia Antica. You are given a chance to commune with the Romans rather than observe or study. You walk their streets, play in their yards, and explore their homes.

All this for a 45 minute ride on public transit.

We had a great last night in Rome. We presented the kids with a 12 Labours of Hercules sort of exercise and sent them on a scavenger hunt.  While they ran about taking photos of wine bottles and fountains and people looking at maps, we sat in the piazza next to the Pantheon and ate tiramisu and drank lattes. Tough gig.

The night was perfect with a gentle breeze to make sure we never got too hot. Now the weather wants to cooperate!

The kids come back excited and energised. By the time we bring them home they are exhausted and still have to pack.

I sit here in my hotel room very early in the morning and listen to the city wake up. Rome wakes up with horns honking and men yelling. At least I think they’re yelling.

I have not slept at all this past night. Between  the late night return from our activities to the pressures of a day of travel I could not sleep. I rarely sleep on the plane but I might make an exception today.
 Desperate, I remembered I had a canola left in my bar fridge so I ate it. It’s pretty bad when you have a three day old canola for breakfast. I’m thinking my doctor would not approve.

It’s been a great month with a good group of kids, but I am ready to go home. I cannot wait to see my garden which is dying from the drought back home, my bedroom which is in a shambles because we have a new bed, and my television shows which may or may not be accessible because  of connection issues.

But most of all, I cannot wait to see Eric. He will tell my about his adventures in the North and I will work very hard to stay awake. I figure I will fall apart somewhere between Kingston and where we turn off the 401.

No worries, though. Eric will take me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment