Sunday 17 June 2012

Energy, Elvis and Edith



Saturday was a full day at the Piggyback Fringe Festival. I was unable to attend any of the day workshops because of work obligations, however, Eric and I had a fine evening of theatre.

Cookin’ Up Some Stories was a collection of fantastical tales interspersed with soft jazz. Stanley Lake, along with his band, tried to conjure up a magical atmosphere within the darkened sanctuary of St.Andrew’s United Church. And, on this count, they were quite successful. Some stories were more engaging than others for me, but I loved the music. I have realised how much of a sucker I am for the flugelhorn.

I did find the music to be louder than the narrator for much of the performance, and I wasn’t alone in this, which was too bad. I also found the energy to be quite low. This was explained to me later when I found out that Lake had an appointment in Perth or somewhere and had probably spent the day frantically driving around eastern Ontario.

We then hoofed our way to the community centre and saw Elvis is Water.

I am not an Elvis fan. I like some of his songs and have always respected his talent. I was nine when he died so I grew up with the “Elvis spotting” shenanigans shortly after his death. For a long while, he represented tacky American consumerism and the desperate need to create some kind of modern icon. I mean...really...the Elvis bust? As I grew older, my appreciation for his talent overshadowed the reaction to his death.

Elvis is Water was a recollection of his early years at Sun Records and the startling circumstances that thrust Elvis into stardom. It is a fascinating story. But when your narrator is a man who obviously loves the subject matter and can speak and sing in Elvis fashion, you have the recipe for an amazing performance. This is not a tacky Elvis impersonation. There is no attempt to look like The King. No sordid details about excess weight, wealth, or drug use. This was a heartfelt homage to a great musician who changed the way we listen to music.

Eric and I are going to Tennessee this summer. We walked out of this performance feeling like we had been given a gift.

Then it was from Elvis to Edith. We hoofed it back to the church and experienced The Sparrow and the Mouse. I walked in and realised how warm and stuffy the church was. I worried that I would get dozy and snore during the performance.

Impossible.

Melanie Gall, in her role of Edith Piaf’s half-sister Simone, had me in the palm of her hand throughout the entire performance. I was seduced, I was enthralled, and, at the end, I was inspired. I knew a few things about Piaf, and I have certainly enjoyed her music, but I was not aware of the majority of the circumstances that brought her to the public eye.

I am taking students to see Paris this summer and this production will most definitely influence how I see the city and how I show it to my kids. Gall’s voice was flawless and her performance was honest. When the surprise duet occurred at the end, you were left to realise that you had hoped for it all along.

I predict this play will win Best of the Fest.

Eric and I finished the night at the rooting tent. I am posting photos on my twitter account (@shebertdaly). I goofed around again with Jeffrey Ferguson on video and enjoyed Laurie Gough’s reading of some upcoming work and the ever popular Phil Jenkins.

Today, my goddaughters are coming into town to check out some stilt walkers. Eric will take them while I mark. But this afternoon is reserved for the final two plays left on the roster

No comments:

Post a Comment