Saturday 15 August 2015

The Flight, The Southern Belle, and The Haunting

Fort Lauderdale

It has been a long time since my last blog entry. A series of dubious wifi connections and late night check-ins conspired against me, I suppose. I had this fantasy that once I got to Disney World I would be staying in the same place for a few days so I could catch up then. More on that folly in a later blog.
I wanted to mention some time we spent at Kitty Hawk in North Carolina. This little place is along the coast and quite small. You often drive along with the sea on both sides of you. Kitty Hawk, of course, is famous for the first successful flight of the Orville brothers. Actually, this event occurred in what is now Kill Devils Hill, but with the closest town at the time being Kitty Hawk it became the famous name attached to the famous event. I suppose when Kill Devils Hill was incorporated there was a determined decision to not associate the famous event with a place called Kill Devils Hill. I have no idea what the origin of this name is, and I am okay with that.

The First Flight National Monument has an information with a full scale replica of the successful aeroplane and there are talks every half hour by Rangers that are clearly enthusiastic as well as educated in this field. There is the pre-requisite walk through display and the required gift shop, but it is when you leave the centre and go out into the field when you feel the magic of the place.
Beyond the replicas of the Wright Brothers’ hangar and workshop (in which they lived), beyond the marker that stands to commemorate the founding of the National Park, beyond the stones that indicate the length of each attempt to fly that day lies the obelisk-inspired monument on top of a fill that makes it clear where lift off took place.

Eric and I walked the length of the flight to the monument and then back again. It is easy to recognise the enormity of the accomplishment even in this day of five hours to Europe. All this because of two guys who fixed bicycles.

As we walked back to the centre to get respite from the heat before returning to our car we heard another sound among the birds and people talking: an airplane. Just beyond the trees next to the path of the first flight there is a small airport. This seemed fitting to us.

Savannah was like a grand old dame who was a little more tired than her sister Charleston, but she was far from worn. Like any good southern hostess she was charming, welcoming and still very much full of life. I loved Savannah from the moment we drove up to the Foley House where we stayed.  The cacophony of cicada hidden among the Spanish moss was constant as was the humidity and heat. Nobody walked quickly or ran. I tend to walk fast but the weather here makes that impossible.

As you make your way through the historic district your path down the street is interrupted every other block or so by a grand old park. These provide respite from the sun. One of these parks, Oglethorpe Park, was a block from our guest house and was where they filmed the ‘box of chocolates’ scenes in Forest Gump. As I made my way slowly through these streets at night I was reminded of Florence, where so many people just walk through the streets quietly as they enjoy simply being in such wonderful place.

Savannah considers itself to be one of the most haunted cities in the country, so we had to take a ghost tour. Actually, what we took was advertised as a ghost walk and a ghost hunt. Some of you may know that I was once a part of a paranormal investigation group back in the day. I was the true sceptic. I was the annoying guy who kept debunking things and not getting excited by orbs. But I always hoped we would find something that I could not explain. Our tour of the Sorrel-Weed House started off interestingly enough. Apparently it was in the library of this house that General Lee began his leadership of the Civil War. We learned of the affair of the house owner with one of the servants and how his wife caught them in the act. The wife threw herself out a second floor window head first into the flagstones below and the servant hanged herself. I think the husband remarried. Hmph.
So, we looked for contact with the two ghosts of the Sorrel-Weed House. Our guide handed out EMF detectors and did not explain their use or why they are used and here we were, about twenty people, waving EMF detectors in various parts of the building.

Meh. With this crowd, I would not have come out to play either.

There was one moment where Eric and I got a little excited about a particular corner in the old carriage house where the servant hanged herself.  I tried to find electrical sockets and other evidence of a manmade electromagnetic field in the room but to no avail. However, after the tour I checked outside the building and found some transponders near the site. Oh well. So much for ghost hunting.
We also heard some ghost stories involving our guest house. Apparently the Foley House was built on a very large Jewish graveyard. I am not sure this explains misplaced dishes and table cloths, but there you have it.


We left the tranquil and elegant Savannah for what we knew would be a very different experience at Disney World.

No comments:

Post a Comment