Tuesday 29 July 2014

Dublin and Departure


Dublin is a bustling city to be sure. London was busy, but all of those people on the streets had space in which to negotiate. Edinburgh was not bustling during my stay. Dublin seemed to have the same amount of people in streets that were a lot narrower. The result was a great many individuals weaving in and around each other as they purposefully navigated their way through the winding streets.

               I would normally have no issue with this, but bringing up the rear of a group of twenty-one students made for an interesting ride. I actually lost sight of them a few times as they dissipated into the throng.  Every time we moved, I had at least a few nervous moments.

               We stayed at Trinity College. We read Oscar Wilde’s The Happy Prince together just steps from where he lived as a student and discussed The Book of Kells while sitting on the lawn next to the library in which it is housed. I spoke to my students about how many works of the ancient world were saved because they had been stored, and copied, in remote parts of the world as the medieval age burned in steel and fire.

               At one point I found a mug with my family crest on it. Having failed to find my tartan I opted for this instead and purchased it (sorry, Eric) along with a little book about my family’s history.  Later, my colleague Joe would present to me a magnet with my family’s crest on it. So, it seems I have fulfilled my familial obligations in the marketing department! When I purchased the mug, the old man asked if I was a Daly myself. “Yes”, I replied with the pride of the clan. He then proceeded to tell me some of the history and antics of my family and the role we played in Irish history.               

               At least I think that is what he said. I really could not understand a word of it. But we shook hands and I nodded my gratitude as I purchased my goods and he yelled “Be proud!” as I walked out of the store.

               Our last dinner together was in a large restaurant and we all dressed up for the occasion. Afterwards we attended a garden presentation of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Dublin Castle. While the performance itself was hit and miss, the kids really enjoyed it. On our walk back we stopped at Murphy’s for ice cream.

               The manager kept encouraging the kids to just clamour up to the counter and get in to order. Joe, Asha and I laughed and said we were Canadian and queuing was in our nature. He scoffed and kept herding the kids to the counter. They politely went with him, and then, once they had made their choice, returned to their spot in the line. We watched as the manager kept insisting and the crowd of kids kept moving and undulating together and separately; moving away and dispersing only to blend back together again in a perfect line. Eventually the manager went behind the counter and helped serve.

               I loved these kids!

               Afterwards, we went home and did our final bed check. The kids began getting emotional about it, but we reminded them we had a long day in the morning and that there would be ample time for emotion. But I had to admit to feeling a bit sad that this would be our last night together.

               The next day we boarded our plane and came home. As usual the kids cried and sobbed and hugged and made promises they could never keep to each other  after we took our final photo together next to the baggage check. I was hugged and thanked and I said my own goodbyes. Then we went through the last bit of customs and through the open doors into the arrivals gallery and the kids dispersed into the crowd and into the rest of their lives. Some came back to say goodbye again but most didn’t. Our time was over.

               And then Eric, who had been waiting for me patiently since his plane had landed awhile ago, took me to our car and we went home. I am writing this from the comfort of my screened in porch. The familiar birdsong mingles around me along with the rustling of the leaves within the canopy that surrounds me. It is the afternoon and I am rested. The report cards are done and my work with Global Journeys this year is over.

               This will be my last summer with Global Journeys for at least a while.

               Now…I can hear many of you reading this laughing. This will be the third time I have claimed my retirement. But this time it really is the truth.

               I began doing this job because I wanted to keep a connection with the classroom whilst in Guidance. When I managed to get on the VP list, I knew that I could be called away at any time and once I was sitting in the VP chair, this job was not an option for at least one, probably two or three, years.  But I didn’t get off the list. Each year I remained and each year for the past two years I came back. I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity while I could.

               This September I begin my new job as a Vice-Principal. Having been an acting VP this past spring I know full well that I will not risk the end of my first year in this job for Global Journeys. If I had any second thoughts about not returning next year, my appointment at the end of June took that choice away from me.

               So, after five years, ten countries (including Scotland), fifty-eight students, twelve colleagues, and countless museums, galleries, archaeological sites, and hours in trains, planes and coaches, I am taking my leave of Global Journeys. I have also brought other kids to other places outside of this job. By my count I have brought over one hundred kids to Europe. I am proud of this. And I hope I will get the chance again someday. But not today. And not tomorrow.

               Thank you for following along with me on this year’s journey. I hope that you found the read worth your while. I will connect with you again if I travel to another destination, either with Eric or with other, or even alone. I will also be maintaining the blog while not travelling so I hope you will join me at www.dalymuse.blogspot.com.

               In the meantime, here’s to the road ahead!

1 comment:

  1. I wish to thank you for sharing your travels with us. I truly enjoyed reading your accounts in your blog posts. As you know I do not have fond memories of my high school years and when I read the experiences you have with your students in your travels and during the year, I sure do wish I had had such an inspiring teacher.
    Once again, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete